Practice, patterns, and creativity are essential elements in learning how to embroider beach towels. We will teach you everything about this millenary technique to print style and own identity to this garment for daily use. Learn about embroidery stitches, fabric care and recommendations to achieve clean finishes.
Embroidery as a technique to personalize garments
Embroidery has a privileged place in the textile industry since its application was modernized in the 19th century. From this time on, the development of sewing machines propelled their commercial use and helped to expand this method of personalization. The threads of various colors and elements such as stones or jewels serve to adorn clothing, create texture and dimension.
In ancient Roman civilizations, in Asia, Egypt and in various European territories, the embroidery was seen as a status symbol. It was used at first to embroider tunics, and soon it was expanded to other garments. The first works included gold and silver threads and elements attached to the piece (snails, precious stones, sequins).
Nowadays, the use of sewing machines and computerized embroidery make it possible to print complex designs on clothing without major inconvenience. However, in the industry, manual techniques are still a favorite for working on all types of fabrics for use in shirts, pants, sweaters and towels and bathrobes.
Embroider beach towels: Learn in 5 steps
1. Choice of towels (materials and size)
Choosing the right towel will make the embroidery process easier for beginners. When choosing it, the first things you should take into account are your needs and the use that you will give to this swimwear. Either for domestic use or for sports activities. The most common to start with are cotton and microfiber towels.
The terry fabric of this garment can make it difficult to print the sketch with the needles. It is advisable in this case to use interfacing. These bases work to enhance the quality of the drawing or letters and the colors to be embroidered. Without the help of this intermediate material, the design could become deformed or break when it begins to appear on the towel.
Tip: Water soluble plastic is one of the best elements to use as an interlining in towel embroidery. It enhances designs and finishes look at high quality.
2. Acquire elements necessary for embroidery
Before starting with the first stitch, it is necessary to have the right equipment, and it is easy to obtain and affordable. It is important that when looking for threads and fabrics, you keep in mind the design you want to achieve in your towel. The color palette of available threads is limited so you must be strategic. To start, you will need.
- Embroidery thread: There are different types to choose from, all with their functionality. There are cotton, polyester, rayon, polyamide and metallic ones. To form a quality embroidery, two types of thread are used, the main and the secondary or bobbin. The latter are usually black or white.
- Needles: To embroider bath towels and bathrobes, you have to choose the right eye size for our needle. A regular R round tip and a sharp SPI one work well for working the tight fabric of this swimwear. The choice also depends on the thickness of the thread to be used in the design.
- Embroidery hoop: This tool is recommended for both beginners and experts in this kind of work. It is found in materials such as wood and plastic. The cloth of the towel must be placed on the rings and closed; its operation is simple.
- Interlining: It is always necessary to achieve higher quality in the design and accuracy when embroidering. The water-soluble plastic, as we already mentioned, prevents the drawing or letters from being deformed on the towels.
- Soluble marker: This is useful for embossing the design on fabric to serve as a guide.
- Scissors: To make small cuts in the fabric and achieve better finishes.
To make your choice easier, go for an embroidery kit for beginners.
3. Choose the points for your embroidery
To start embroidering beach towels, it is important to learn about the best embroidery stitches to work with. This depends on the type of design you choose. The most common are backstitch, stem stitch, plain stitch, French knot, chain stitch, daisy, herringbone and knot stitch. The finishing ones are the satin or satin scallop, inclined cord and simple hemstitch.
To create letters and outlines, the best choice is stitching, as it is uniform and easy to create. Meanwhile, the flat stitch works to fill the drawings, the stem, chain stitch and herringbone to create a strong part of the designs. The French knot is delicate and complex for beginners.
4. Know the different embroidery methods
You can choose to create your embroidery by hand or by machine, if it is manual, it will require more time, but it will allow you to know each part of the process. There are different methods to achieve your embroidered designs, these play with materials, textures and threads. We present the most common for your towels.
- 3D or relief embroidery: Play with the density of the stitch to make the design stand out. SES type needles are used to make them and a colored base similar to embroidery floss.
- Moss embroidery: Allows you to achieve a plush appearance with the use of special needles. Perfect if you want to maintain this quality in your personalized towels.
- Appliques: Consists of the use of fabrics during embroidery to add texture and color to the embroidery. Ideal for personalizing baby towels with children’s designs, it is also easy to achieve.
- With stones: A technique not recommended for beginners where stones or sequins are added to the design.
5. Use simple designs and patterns
Don’t try to come up with decor magazine layouts at first. Use simple knots, patterns, and small drawings to help you get started with embroidery. Anyone who spends a little time practicing can learn to embroider, but starting with complicated letters and styles will only end up frustrating you.
Final recommendations for embroidering towels
- Simplicity is the key. Save complex, colorful appliqués for baby or toddler designs. In towels for adults use ribbons, dots or letters in soft colors to decorate.
- Purchase a sewing starter kit to familiarize yourself with basic embroidery needles and threads.
- Use a plastic embroidery hoop, these will help you better visualize the process. They are lighter and more malleable.
- Make sure that your first embroidered towels are white or light like the economic print to be able to experiment with the thread colors.
- For designs on children’s or baby towels, opt for an appliqué embroidery. This will help achieve more colorful and textured designs. Look for patterns and tutorials to guide you.
- Before starting your embroidery, do not forget to mark the interfacing with the design to be made. Without this guide, the results could be disastrous. You can also write the colors that go in each segment of the design.
With this little guide to embroidering beach towels, we are sure that you will be able to make your first designs without problems. Remember to always try simple pictures or letters before moving on to complex ones.